Next week we will host a Mendeley workshop at Roeterseiland. Most of our information on Mendeley is on the UvA website (e.g. how to set it up, how to get an institutional account with more storage space and the ability to set up an unlimited number of groups).
The tutorial below was written for researchers with a UvA windows computer without admin rights because there is software that has to be installed in order to use Mendeley.
- Open the Application Catalog (can be found in the start menu, under ‘all programs’ > ‘software maintenance’)
- Use the search box to find Mendeley
- Select Mendeley and scroll down and to the right in order to click on install
At the moment, there is a discrepancy between the current version of Mendeley (1.17.13) and the one in the Application Catalog (1.17.6). We contacted the IT department and they told us this would be solved within a month. The older version causes problems with the Write and Cite Plugin in MS Word (Mendeley Cite-O-Matic).
If you have admin rights and the incompatibility of the versions is still a problem, the options below might be helpful:
Remove old Mendeley plugins from MS Word on Windows 7 computers
- Open Ms Word and go to File > click on options > click on Add-ins
- Select ‘Word add-ins’ in the drop-down menu at the bottom of the page and click ‘Go’
- Locate the older Mendeley-x.xx.xx.dotm entry (in this case probably 1.17.6.dotm or older) and uncheck them
- Click oke
Remove the Word plugin through Mendeley Desktop
- Make sure MS Word is closed
- Open Mendeley Desktop from the start menu on your computer
- Select ‘Tools’ and click ‘Uninstall Word Plugin’ (or ‘Install Word Plugin’)
It is not uncommon to go back and forth between these two types of removal a few times until you only have the desired plugin. Please note that you can not fully do this if you do not have admin rights.